2020 Grant Applications Available Now!

February 2, 2020

Dear Water Quality Partners,
The Division of Water Quality will be accepting pre-proposals for Section 319 and State NPS funding February 1st through April 10th.  


Pre-proposals must be submitted using the NPS financial assistance forms found on our website:



and submitted to Jim Bowcutt (jdbowcutt@utah.gov).  


Please provide as much specificity in your pre-proposal as possible including your ability to document the success of your project through monitoring before, during and after project implementation. 

The targeted basin for 2021 is the Colorado River Watershed basin, although we will be able to use State NPS grants to fund high priority projects in other areas of the state, and we encourage everyone that is interested to apply.  Funding requests in excess of $150,000 require approval from the Water Quality Board.
Key dates for reference:

February 1st, 2020 - DEQ will begin accepting FY-2020 NPS pre-proposals
April 10th, 2020 - Due date for 319 and State NPS grant pre-proposals

May 22nd, 2020 - Grant recipients announced
July 1st, 2020 - Full State NPS proposals due and State NPS funding available for contracting

August 1st, 2020 - Full 319 proposals due

Spring 2021 - 319 Funding available 

Please note that applications received are considered for State NPS funding and Section 319 funding.  Once your application has been received, the Division of Water Quality will decide which source of funding will be the most appropriate to fund your project.

Pre-proposals should be developed in close coordination with representatives of DWQ.  Contacts for your watershed can be found on the following website: https://www.utahcleanwater.org/find-your-watershed.html 
For project sponsors with existing 319 projects, a brief status report and current project balance must also be included in your application.

A copy of the ranking criteria as well as final project reporting requirements can be found at the following website:  https://deq.utah.gov/water-quality/funding-for-nonpoint-source-related-projects

Additionally you can use the DWQ interactive map to help identify if the waterbody you are working on is impaired, has an active TMDL, or what it is impaired for. https://enviro.deq.utah.gov/ 
For questions please contact
Jim Bowcutt (NPS Program Coordinator) at 801-536-4336